All tobacco packaging on sale in the UK will be
standardised from 20 May 2017!
Standardised packs have been appearing in Medway
retailers since 20 May 2016 so you may have already seen
then. Starting on 20th May 2017 there will be no more
colourful and eye catching cigarette packets on sale
in the UK.
Cigarette packets will look like this:
Image sourced from ASH (04/01/16)
- Two thirds of smokers start before they are 18 (1)
- To reduce the appeal of smoking to children (2)
- To increase the impact of health warnings (3)
- To reduce misleading information about the harms of smoking
For more information visit
Action on Smoking and Health (ASH).
We have also designed a leaflet for retailers in Medway to
ensure they're up-to-date with all tobacco regulations -
Issues: A Guide for Medway Retailers'.
- ONS (2012) Smoking and
drinking among adults. General Lifestyle Survey
- Moodie C., Stead, M., Bauld, L., McNeill, A., Angusa, K.,
Hinds, K., Kwanb, I., Thomas, J., Hastings, G., & O’Mara-Evesb,
A. (2012) Plain Tobacco Packaging: A Systematic
- Moodie, C., Angus, K., Stead, M., and Bauld, L (2013).
Plain Tobacco Packaging Research: An Update.